Mystics say the Native American practice of smudging, or purifying a room with the smoke of white dried sage, can help clear negative energy from a space. The apparent benefits are steeped in science — when burned, sage releases negative ions, which research has linked to a more positive mood and can have a direct effect on reducing our stress response.
As even the happiest homes accumulate in time negative vibrations, it is good to smudge your home thoroughly at least several times a year. You can also smudge your office space (not during busy office hours!); as well as use smudging to clear your own energy or the energy of other people.
Use loose dried white sage or a white ceremonial sage bundle (aka wand), which is usually bound together by a thin string. You can find sage bundles at your local herb shop or health store, or New Age store. If you have a sage plant, you can make your own — just bundle and tie it, and then hang upside down in cool dark space until it is completely dried out.
How to Clear your space with Smudging
1. Before you begin, open a window or door. So you don’t set the fire alarms off!
2. Place the herbs in an abalone shell, or a clay bowl, and light them with a flame. Then gently blow out the flame, letting the material continue to smolder.
3. Once you have a nice smoke going, use your hand or a feather to direct the smoke over your body from your feet up to your head, then back down again. As you do this, visualize the smoke taking away with it any negative energy from your life, any darkness or malady.
4. Once you have smudged your body, begin to move through your space.
5. Wave the smoke into all corners, across doorways and into shadow spaces (avoiding the smoke alarm!).
6. Visualise the room being filled with positive white light and ask your Guides and helpers to clear the area and remove all negative energy from this space.
7. Give thanks and when finished carefully extinguish the sage smudge stick in some sand ensuring that it is no longer lit or smoking.